Monday, March 11, 2013

 Today was a P-day. When we ran some errands.The gardener was at the Temporal Affairs Offices on a ladder trimming a vine over the entry way. His assistant was digging out a large, dead, cycad trunk. Two weeks ago I noticed a cluster of ornamental, dwarf, banana plants near the building entry. That prompted me to look for one at a plant vendor for a pot on the balcony. I asked several people and even wondered if I could get a start from the TA garden. One day, on the way to the Mission Home I saw one with mottled leaves at a roadside nursery vendor. On nearly every street there are plant vendors displaying rows of potted or sacked plants. There are hundreds of them. This is the only one where I have seen an ornamental banana. The price was $30.00 so I passed it up, but was weakening. So, today when the gardener was there, I asked him if he knew where I could get a start. He said I could have one, and how long would I be in the office? We conducted our business, and on our way out, there was the gardener who had just spaded up two starts and he handed them to me in a plastic bag. In the Photo they have joined the rest of the garden, Avocado, Lemon Grass, Manioc, and a couple of plants salvaged here and there that I can't name. We also have some squash, tomato plants started from seed saved from veggies, and lime, grapefruit, passion fruit, and a few others that may or may not sprout. The flat tray is bird seed to feed the doves, sparrows, and any other birds that find it. We enjoy watching them at each meal during the day. There is also a fly catcher that performs amusing acrobatics chasing flies and butterflies.
 There is a Catholic boys school below us. The boys are playing soccer. They start to assemble each day at about 6h30. Breakfast is served from small tables in one corner of the yard. At 7h30 the Priest gives his daily exhortation. Friday is cleaning day during their exercise break. Beyond the school is the Spanish, and the American Embassies, then the UN compound.
We are scheduled to get high speed (512?) internet at the end of the month. Perhaps this is our new receiver? It appeared today bolted to the railing on the observation deck. In the distance is the mighty Congo River.

No comments: